Wednesday 7 January 2009

Infiniband

Today, I'm working with Mellanox's fourth generation adapter device. It's a ConnectX device which has support for virtual protocol interconnect, providing both infiniband and ethernet network interfaces. Eek, that sounds long and complicated. At the moment, it is for me but I'll get the hang of it, I have to.

So, whats inifiniband? It's a swtiched fabric communications link primarily usedin high-performance computing. It's scalable, which means you build a load of them together and connect them all up for greater speeds. The InfiniBand architecture specification defines a connection between processor nodes and high performance I/O nodes such as storage devices. It is a superset of the Virtual Interface Architecture.

I'll have more for you later, now I gotta read the datasheet and figure this all out, then compare it against our very own schematics and log bugs through our bug system, powered by Axosoft's OnTime.

Laters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, only users with Google Accounts are allowed. All comments are moderated before posting.